A standard homeowners insurance policy insures the home itself and the things you keep inside. By having homeowners insurance, you can financially protect yourself if there’s an accident. Contact our agency today to learn more about homeowners insurance or to get a no-obligation quote.
What Is Homeowners Insurance?
Home insurance is a package policy, which means that it covers damage to your property after a covered loss and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. There are usually additional coverages or endorsements, also called riders, that you can add to the standard coverages provided by home insurance to ensure adequate protection.
Do I Need Homeowners Insurance?
While purchasing a home insurance policy may not be mandated by the federal, state or local government, your lender may require proof of home insurance if you have a mortgage. Carrying appropriate homeowners insurance is always a good idea as the policy can help financially protect you if you experience a covered accident or other loss. Without home insurance, you may be left to cover the replacement or repair costs on your own following an incident.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That’s important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you’d need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what’s included and what is not.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home’s features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
- What’s the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
How to Get Homeowners Insurance
If you need a homeowners insurance policy or want to evaluate whether the coverage you have is adequate, we’re here to help. Give Jan Loewen Insurance Services a call today to get started or request your free quote now.